What is the difference between test plan & test strategy?

Can someone help me to understand the difference between test plan & test strategy?

Views: 7210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did't say BVT and BAT are same. Just go through the my first discussion then you came to know..

My question is if BVT and BAT are same then why the test guru's mentioned two different names for one testing type??
Kesanu,

1) Which Gurus? The "Fake" Gurus? Ever wondered what common ssense tells you?
2) You are also saying that BAT is smoke testing and BVT is sanity testing, but if I look at the test cases that you have mentioned, they seem similar. I don't see a difference at all.
3) Read this thread entirely. You will see so many different definitions present in the same.

All I am saying is... it's all testing. Why do you try to differentiate terminologies, or follow fake gurus, when common sense dictates it's the same...

What I am saying is that... both of them are the same.
Nice Ans

Smoke Testing:Build is testable condition or not.

Sanity Testing:-Tester conducts the Sanity test to ensure the stability of the application build.Tester finds weather the application build is stable for complete application or not.

Smoke testing is testing whether the major functionality is working without any crash or not.

Sanity Testing:-Tester conducts the Sanity test to ensure the stability of the application build.Tester finds weather the application build is stable for complete application or not.

Smoke Testing:-It covers the major functionality of the application without bothering with finer details.
So can you give some example test cases to the sample that I mentioned above?
Now you are telling me that Tester's don't do sanity testing and developers don't do smoke testing.

Don't you feel this is different from the examlpe above, where 1 guy says that trying to login is "smoke" testing and what you do after login is "sanity" testing?

Have you ever felt your "sanity" being tested when trying to explain sanity testing?

And if this has a standard answer, why are there so many thoughts around sanity, smoke, Build verification, etc? Ever felt all these contribute to "fake" testing? Why not simplly call it "testing"???

And do you have a separate terminology for doing these tests on the "live" environment?
Smoke testing of the software application is done to check whether the build can be accepted for through software testing. Sanity testing of the software is to ensure whether the requirements are met or not.
Regression Testing:if one bug has been fixed and its not reproducing again means next step to do regression, its nothing but testing the fixed bug related functionality has been affected or changed because of that fixed bug.
hi nitish

sanity testing is testing the stable of the build, means every thing are working fine or not.its not seeing about any functionality of the application.

Smoke testing is testing whether the major functionality is working without any crash or not.
Test Plan and Test Strategy the difference is in the name itself

Test is common So no wories

Now the difference is in Plan and Strategy

Plan: a design or scheme of arrangement (which include description of project as described by Saran or Debrah below)
Strategy : means techniques/approach with which u will achive the plan, The testing strategy should define the objectives of all test stages and the techniques that apply.

Day to Day e.g
Suppose you are captain and have team of 4 people
Requirment is to go from Point A ->Point B ->Point C
Plan: Describe the Points, Decide the resources, Time frame required, Valid Routes, Invalid/Out of scope Route, Other risk factors,
Strategy: Deciide the Different approaches/techniques, How you will Start, what techniques u will use to cover which/these points(e.g different type of testing), What are the entry and exit criterai of each module(point)...
Test plain has to be aligned with the Test Strategy where as reverse is not true. for example think of strategy as a high level decision which is driven by top or senior management whereas "Planning" is done by manager / leads to ensure we achieve the goals/objectives defined in our "strategy"

RSS

© 2014   Created by Test Republic.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service